Week One: Introduction to me!

Hello! 

My name is Lisa Fylypchuk and I am a first year student in the Faculty of Arts. I am in this faculty because I really enjoy classes like politics and philosophy, much more than subjects like science and business. If everything goes well (meaning if I can get the grades), in the future, I hope to major in political science. The plan after that has yet to be determined but I still have time to figure it out since I'm only in first year. 

I was born and raised in Calgary Alberta, just one province over from BC. I chose this university for the quality of education and I am really excited to be studying here. I've only been here one semester so far but I feel I've already learned a lot, not necessarily just in school but also about living independently away from home for the first time. 

I initially considered romance studies solely because I was looking for a class to fulfill my literature requirement, but after reading the course description (and even more so after that first class yesterday), I quickly realized how enjoyable this class was going to be. I love to read but I know how easy it is for leisure reading to go out the window when life gets busy, so I am excited to be enrolled in a class that will challenge me to read as much as I can. I hope that the variety of books that I will be reading in this class allows me to learn something new by introducing me to new ideas. As I was watching the lecture video, I was most intrigued by the discussion on how learning one romance language opens up the door to the other ones. Because I can already speak French, I have noticed that I am able to understand certain words in Italian and Spanish. I think that the link that exists between this family of languages is fascinating and I am very excited to learn more on this topic as the semester continues. 

I hope that this class ends up being as inspiring as I presently believe it's going to be, and I am very much looking forward to getting started with the assigned readings. To conclude, while I hope that this class will challenge my thinking, I also hope that I will be able to have fun in this course and come out on the other side with brighter ideas and a more open mind. 

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa, I am also a first year student from Calgary! Are you enjoying Vancouver so far? That is really how you are able to recognize words between different languages it is interesting to see how words adapt from one another. I hope you enjoy this class and all of the readings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, it's nice to meet you! I hope that you are enjoying Vancouver. I also like how we get to choose the books that we read and I like that the class mainly focuses on this and not assignments as it allows us the time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, cool introduction! I'm also a first year student with interest in politics, and I'm from Manitoba, the prairies too! I hope you successfully find the major that suits you the most in the fields of politics and philosophy, and good luck on this course!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week Ten: Roberto Bolano, Amulet

Week Three: Louis Aragon, Paris Peasant

Week Four: Maria Luisa Bombal, The Shrouded Woman